Holiday Foods Your Pet Shouldn’t Eat

Holiday Foods Your Pet Shouldn’t Eat

The holidays are here, and it’s a safe bet you’ll be including your animal companion in the festivities. Just make sure they don’t eat something harmful! Below, your Longview, TX veterinarian tells you about a few holiday foods to stay on the lookout for.

Garlic and Onions

Onions and related foods—garlic, shallots, scallions, chives, leeks—contain sulfate chemicals that can poison a pet when enough is ingested. Garlic contains the highest concentration, so it’s the most potent. Take care to have your pet avoid onions and related foods, as well as anything cooked with onions.

Chocolate and Candy

Chocolate of all types contains theobromine and caffeine, chemicals that don’t agree with cats and dogs. Too much can result in vomiting and diarrhea, seizures, and worse. Many candies, as well as gums, toothpaste, and certain baked goods, may be sweetened with xylitol. It’s an artificial sugar that is fine for human consumption, but very toxic for pets. Keep your animal friend away!

Bones

It may seem like second nature to give your dog a bone to munch on once you’ve cooked your holiday turkey or ham, but it’s best to think twice. Bones, both cooked and uncooked, can splinter apart dangerously when chewed, even creating sharp shards that could cut a pet’s mouth or intestinal lining when swallowed. Give your dog a chew toy instead of bones this holiday season.

Grapes and Raisins

To this day, it’s not known precisely why grapes and raisins are toxic to certain animals. It’s also unclear why some pets seem to be able to eat grapes and raisins without experiencing ill effects. With all of that being said, it’s not worth the risk for your beloved companion! Grapes and raisins have been known to cause serious poisoning symptoms like lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, and renal failure, potentially leading to death without treatment. If you’re including grapes or their dried counterparts in your holiday dishes, don’t let your pet chow down.

Alcohol

Will your holiday celebrations include alcohol? Remember that alcohol affects pets just like it affects us—the difference is that pets can experience alcohol poisoning very quickly! This goes for wine, liquor, beer, and champagne, and even foods cooked with alcohol. Don’t let your pet imbibe; keep a close eye on unattended drinks, and never feed your pet alcohol on purpose.

Does your pet need a veterinary checkup? Call your Longview, TX vet clinic.

Comments are closed.

Website Designed & Developed by DVMelite | All Rights Reserved | Login